Wednesday, December 07, 2005

I Have New Respect for Professors

I lectured today in 6.867. I didn't sleep very well last night worrying about it. It went alright except that I finished 15 minutes early. Also, there was this one guy who kept giggling and laughing through the whole thing. I wanted to stop the lecture and choke him, except I was being videotaped and it would be difficult to argue with hard evidence like that in court. I know the guy. He comes to class and rolls up his jacket like a pillow and pretends to sleep during lecture. He is not well-liked among other students I have talked to. He comes across as smug and smarmy etc...
I remember this one prof at Carleton who would absolutely lose his mind in class if someone was talking or laughing or something. He would do crazy, unexpected stuff like get right in people's faces and scream, or randomly give us tons of homework if somebody pissed him off. He was basically a complete nutbag, and probably has banged one off by now, but today I can honestly say "Dr. Pearce, I stand shoulder to shoulder with you in solidarity against punk-ass students."

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Mister Apple. This post made me laugh quite hard, possibly because I am very tired. I especially enjoyed the visual of professor Pearce "banging one off"

Keep the good times rolling please. And congratulations on being grown up.

12/07/2005 4:53 PM  
Blogger Mr. Apple said...

Dear anonymous,

Thank-you for your note. Dr. Pearce is a prime candidate for blasting out an artery or two:
1. he is high strung
2. he is bald (high testosterone)
3. he wears tight jeans and jean jackets

I'm not sure what 3. has to do with heart attacks, but it gives you some insight into his personality.

In his defense, though, he was a good prof aside from the screaming and jeans.

12/08/2005 9:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Mr. Apple,

What are your thoughts on polar bears?

12/08/2005 5:12 PM  
Blogger Mr. Apple said...

Dear anonymous,

I'm glad you asked. Polar bears are quite dangerous and frightening. I read that they are the only animal that looks at a human and thinks "food". The only good polar bear is a stuffed polar bear as far as I'm concerned.

12/08/2005 8:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Mr. Apple,

Thank you for sharing your observations about polar bears. I agree, for the most part. PBs sure can be frightening, but they also have a certain charm that I just can't ignore. I mean, how dare mother nature make something so vicious look so unfarkin' believably cute?

12/08/2005 9:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You bear a striking resemblance to Dr. Pearce.

12/09/2005 9:26 PM  
Blogger Mr. Apple said...

Dear anonymous,

Thank-you for noticing. Although I would say that while he has a rough/rugged look, my features are more aristocratic.

12/09/2005 11:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home