Sunday, February 18, 2007

Kiwi is the most underrated fruit

I enjoy a good piece of fruit as much as the next guy. This weekend I picked up some kiwi fruit from the local Star Market for the bargain basement price of 2 for $1. So far I've enjoyed 2 of them, and I really must say that kiwi is the most underrated fruit I can think of.

You really don't hear much about kiwi fruit. It's pretty low profile. It takes a back seat to more prominent fruit like apples, oranges, and bananas, and I find myself asking "why?" because kiwi is really tasty. It keeps better than bananas. Why, why isn't it more popular?!?

Is it because kiwi is not grown locally? I can't believe this is the reason since most produce is imported. I mean, bananas don't grow in Massachusetts but they seem really popular around these parts.

Maybe it's an issue of supply, demand and price. I guess kiwi is a bit more expensive per unit weight than some fruit. But it's much less expensive than many popular fruits like berries. And check it out: at my local Star Market oranges are 2/1$ which is the same unit price as kiwi!!! Needless to say the orange section occupies a far more prominent position in the produce aisle than does the underappreciated kiwi fruit.

My theory regarding the underwhelming popularity of kiwi is that it is simply not as physically beautiful as other fruit. It has this brown furry exterior that isn't really all that appetizing. Oranges and apples and bananas and berries and cherries are all kind of beautiful.....but it's not until the brown fur is peeled away that kiwi's inner beauty becomes apparent.

Why are you people so shallow?

1 Comments:

Blogger C said...

kiwi's are also good if you're constipated

2/20/2007 5:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home