Saturday, December 31, 2005

Brushes with Greatness - Part II

I worked out in the same gym as these two:I was a little hard on poor Jack Layton a while ago, and so in the interest of fairness and full disclosure I will tell you about my encounters with this great man and his wife back when I used to live in Toronto. I lived in a building that was right across the street from the University of Toronto gym, and I used to go there to talk to aerobics girls and flex in front of the mirror, etc... Well anyway, I used to see Jack Layton and Olivia Chow there all the time. They would usually be dressed exactly as pictured in the photograph above, except Jack would have on a headband and short adidas athletic shorts with white tube socks pulled up to his thighs. Also, judging from the picture above he seems to have put on a considerable amount of weight so possibly he should consider hitting the gym again, but I digress. I remember passing these yahoos on the stairs several times. I would be heading up to the track, and they would be on their way down from the machine room, presumably after an invigorating session of flexing their muscles for social justice. Jack would have the biggest shit-eating grin on his face and Olivia would be on his arm literally stroking and rubbing his bicep and cooing into his ear. He would give me this look as if to say, "eat your heart out, son - she's all mine". Anyway, eventually they got banned after the gym staff caught Jack sneaking into the women's locker room one too many times. I found out later he had been trying to unionize the Varsity girls water polo team.

In other news.....earlier I posted a link to some demo songs by Band of Horses. One of the songs is in finished form for their upcoming CD, and you can find it here. I have been listening to it so much that I think I may have pulled my rocking muscle.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jack Layton is a teeny man. Maybe gaining the weight was an attempt to seem more...well, weighty?

1/02/2006 1:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

another amazing rock'n'roll tune. check out the link for many wolf parade tunes (and a great cbc site formusic). If I get my disc back from Margo I'll pass it on before you go.
t
http://www.newmusiccanada.com/genres/artist.cfm?Band_Id=11211

1/02/2006 6:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home