Saturday, June 03, 2006

Repetitive patterns in nature

Today on my way into the office I stopped at the Student Center to get some cash and I saw a beautiful little robin. It was pulling at a shiny piece of plastic string tied to a small shrub near the rear entrance of the building. The robin was pulling at the string, but the string was strong and was wrapped tightly around the branch, so the bird was having no luck flying off with its prize. I stood there and watched for a few minutes. It would pull for a while at the very end of the string with its beak, fail to break it off, and then try moving to a point closer to where the string was attached to the branch. When that didn't work, it would return to the very end of the string and keep trying. It never gave up. I went into the building, got some cash, bought a drink, and then came out and the robin was still working in vain on that piece of string.


As I sit here in my office trying to get my code to work I can't help but draw certain analogies between that robin and myself.

3 Comments:

Blogger C said...

All I want to do is give you a hug, and buy you some ice cream. Real ice cream not the tofu or soy stuff...but if you wanted gelato I could go for that.

6/03/2006 5:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mr. Apple,
I found your blog by shear accident after typing in "repetive patterns in nature" in Google. I must mention that I was in the middle of crunching on a granny smith as I discovered your page... So far, I haven't found the scientific term for repetive patterns in nature. I'm sure the word will come to me later, but finding your log was a nice surprise. Normally, I'm not a fan of the blog, but yours seems to be quite amusing... ~Ms. Smith

4/19/2007 10:05 PM  
Blogger Mr. Apple said...

Thanks for your kind words Ms. Smith!

4/20/2007 1:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home