Friday, May 11, 2007

Remarkable article in the Globe

The Globe and Mail, 'Canada's national newspaper', recently ran an article in which they interviewed my uncle regarding the blood lines of a Mr. John Gillis, aka Jack White of the White Stripes. The gist of the story (here) is that Jack's ancestors were Highland Scottish Catholics who settled in Nova Scotia in the late 19th century. Then, sometime in the 20's I think, his grandparents moved to Detroit and the rest is history. Except it turns out Jack is related to a whole bunch of prominent traditional musicians from the East Coast like Buddy and Natalie MacMaster, and Ashley MacIsaac. So presumably they share some genetic predisposition to musical ability? Dunno...but he is also the 2nd cousin of a prominent Cambridge gadfly and man-about-town: yours truly. Yes, while I may not share Jack's talent or charisma, I do share a set of his great-grandparents and his good looks:

"I can't tell the difference between these two hunks!!!!"

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel as though I am always saying, ‘I know him or her’ in your blog, but it’s true. My friends and I loved the White Stripes back when their first 45 hit the radio station. In fact, we constantly played it along with their debut during ‘99/00 before the W.S. made it big. To sum up a longgg story: Jack, Meg, and Long Gone John stayed with us in Cambridge and Providence on their first tour. We were their 'best buddies'; interviews, demo tapes, a possible 45 release on my friend’s record label... A year rolls by and The White Stripes are suddenly HUGE! They stop corresponding with ZBC and MBR, and instead of doing a second set of interviews with the friendly, supportive, non-commercial radio stations who helped put them on the map, the Stripes completely ‘dissed’ us and opted for a promotional interview with FNX. The rest is history. Jack is obviously a talented musician, but fame went to his head. O.K., O.K., musicians do deserve to acquire success and money, but... I guess I’ll end the story here.
Mr. Apple, you will have to test out those musical genes and create a song for your readers.
~Ms. Smith

5/15/2007 1:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is not cool that he totally dissed you Ms. Smith. My husband and I have had many an independent group spend the night on our couches/floor/extra space. I wish for all of them to succeed, but if they did and then stopped speaking to us, I would feel sad. It is important to always remember how you got to where you are.

Kenzie, you should really teach your relations some manners.

-LS

5/15/2007 9:40 PM  
Blogger Mr. Apple said...

Wow Ms. Smith, sorry to hear about the dissage. I will start working on some songs tonight. LS can vouch for me when I say that I have a knack for impromptu song writing when drinking. Unfortunately the songs are usually tuneless, and lyrically focus on themes like "girl who just walked by my table", "Kenzie Claus", and "Sweet Jimmies". Don't ask...

That said, I think both of you are missing the salient point here which is that Jack White and myself are both very handsome.

5/16/2007 11:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. Apple, you certainly are itching for affirmation regarding how shiny of an apple you are, aren’t you?! You seem to know it, flashing the pic of your handsome self for all to see. Did I speak too soon when I said that your blog did not seem like the trillion egoistic ones? Well, I can’t hold it against you, I’m already too charmed by your tales. ~Ms. Smith

5/17/2007 12:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home