Tuesday, May 01, 2007

A Sad Display at Trivia

Oh my. Tonight we played trivia at the Thirsty Ear pub here on campus. Those of you who know me know that I get a touch excited about the trivia. I mean, I'm not good at it or anything, but I am good at assembling a star-studded team that can challenge for top spot each week. I'm the Theo Epstein of MIT trivia. I assemble the talent and then relax, sit back, and take all the credit as my team brings home the gold. Tonight things didn't work out exactly as planned. The questions were lame (except for some hockey questions that we totally aced) and the MC stunk. But, as I mentioned in a facebook discussion earlier tonight, the rotten cherry on top of the shit sundae was an incident that happened at the very end of the night.

Two girls, who had each thrown back 40oz. bottles of Colt 45 and chased them with a significant volume of stale draft beer, approached the MC about obtaining bonus points for their team by making a spectacle of themselves on stage. What was their plan? Quite simply, to make out in front of the bar and, if their make-out session was deemed satisfactory, to be awarded 2 bonus points. What ensued was nothing short of embarrassing:Two of the corniest girls you've ever seen start to make out awkwardly on stage as the pub's patrons look on in bemusement. As near as I can tell there were two reactions: uncomfortable staring at the shoes, and utter disdain. The only guy even remotely enthusiastic about the whole thing was the MC. And it went on for so long! There they were in t-shirts and ill-fitting jeans, touching lips and resting limp hands on each other's bums. There might have been a hand up a shirt or something, but frankly it was the least sexy thing I have ever seen. Afterwards they basically got booed by everybody, which is hardly surprising considering most people present would ruthlessly boo and throw things at their own mother if it meant an extra point in trivia. The lame-o MC unilaterally awarded them the points anyway.

The whole thing was completely corny for a million reasons:

1. If you're going to make out with your friend in front of a room full of people, you'd better at least be into it. These girls got cold feet and they were totally awkward. You could tell they weren't into it at all. It was about as sexy as watching a dog lick a toddler's face.

2. The implication of the whole spectacle was that we were basically a room full of pathetic, horny losers who could be bent to the will of a pair of 5's by the merest whiff of sex.

3. The subversion of the trivia scoring system! The real 3rd place team didn't get their free beer! BS!!!!! This MC was a total tool.

4. It was distasteful to watch a couple of chicks put themselves on display and basically beg to be judged by a room full of people. It was weird to see that these girls, who are probably very bright and talented etc..., were still stoked to get up and try to earn the approval of a bar full of dudes by being "sexy".

There are 999,996 other corny things, but it's after 2am and I have to get up early.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It’s weird; after reading your posts, I somehow feel obligated to respond... I actaully have nothing to say, except, wow! I feel for you, but even more so for the women who subjected themselves to such sacrilege of self-pride. ~Ms. Smith

5/07/2007 8:38 PM  
Blogger Mr. Apple said...

Hey Ms. Smith the same girls were at trivia tonight! But they didn't kiss this time. I am feeling bad about this post...sometimes I think I am too hard on people.

5/07/2007 11:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home