Monday, May 01, 2006

Conformity is the New Individualism

Has anyone else noticed that we live in a world where everyone is trying to draw attention to themselves? Even setting aside the obvious example of reality television shows (and setting aside the irony of a guy with a blog commenting on how other people crave attention), it seems obvious to me that 75% of people walking around on the street think they're movie stars or something. Everybody is wrapped up in the idea that they're unique and special and different. Possibly more than any other time in history we are self-involved, puffed up with a belief in our own "specialness", and enamoured with the idea that we're somehow deserving of other people's attention.

Every time you are in a public place and someone is talking really loudly on their cellphone and forcibly sharing their conversation with you, you are on the receiving end of this rather distressing trend. If you've ever walked down Mass Ave. on a Friday night and seen the retarded hipsters with their depressingly cookie-cutter clothing, tattoos, and hairstyles milling around outside the Middle East smoking Parliaments and completely oblivious to the fact that by trying so hard to be different they reinforce their membership in the herd, then you know what I'm talking about. And let me tell you, if you ever have the misfortune of browsing random people's profiles on MySpace, then the gravity of the situation becomes especially apparent.

An example:
I was in the grocery store the other day and I was walking down the canned vegetable aisle and I see this guy and his wife shopping. All of a sudden, the guy pulls his leg up on top of the shopping cart, straightens it out, and starts doing these ballet stretches in the middle of the aisle. He's stretching it out, bringing his head down to his knee and really feeling the burn, and all I could think was "I hope the cart starts to roll and you tear your groin you silly bastard." Why in the world would a 55 year old man do these stupid stretches in the middle of the grocery store? Because he wanted attention, of course. As I was walking toward this guy I heard a voice say, "Look at that silly arsehole." and for a split second I thought my dad was right behind me - then I realized I was talking to myself.

What is going on here? What ever happened to just being a regular person and minding your own business? Why not derive your sense of worth from your humanity and sense of morality instead of how different you can be or how many people are looking at you? Because the truth is that, no matter how unique we think we are, we're all just regular people. Sure, technically we're genetically unique....but in practical terms there is nothing unique about us. We have the same genes. We all have the same biological needs, and we're all driven by the same fundamental biological imperatives. Our psychologies operate by the same set of general principles and our brains all operate according to the same fundamental physical laws. We're all just people, and that's ok. Don't run away from it! Embrace it! It took me 30 years to realize this, but I am passing it on to you now.

I am always teaching you.

5 Comments:

Blogger Mr. Apple said...

Holy shit. Check out Salon.com

They just published an article and stole my idea kind of. Well, actually the article is about a guy who wrote a book that kind of stole my idea.....but I guess since he already wrote the book, I kind of stole his idea.

It's ok, I have good lawyers....and it also kind of proves my point.

5/01/2006 11:33 PM  
Blogger C said...

I really like this post.

I never feel special.

Except sometimes in the safety of my living room.

5/02/2006 11:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find it ironic that a gentleman is complaining about others' attention whoring when he himself is at the very epicentre of a swirling mass of self-aggrandizing overindulgent tripe!

I couldn't resist.

And cjs, have you ever considered the unseen dangers you face every day in your living room? Like gnats? Or lepers invading your home? Or a stray bobby pin imbedding itself into your sole?

5/03/2006 8:59 AM  
Blogger Mr. Apple said...

nick,

touché. I alluded to this in the post, but you are well within your rights to rub my nose in it again. I feel I am somewhat protected from your criticism, however, since I write under the pseudonym "Mr. Apple". My true identity is super-secret and is known only to my most trusted cat Mr. McWhiskers....even I am on a strict need-to-know basis regarding certain salient 'Mr. Apple identity-related' data. I really can't say any more.

5/03/2006 10:17 AM  
Blogger C said...

I try not to think of the dangers in my very own living room. I'm a risk taker.

5/03/2006 11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home