Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Hockey is so much better than all other sports

I watched game 7 of the Stanley Cup tonight and I have to say it's a shame that most of the world doesn't get winter and ice etc... because if they did, hockey would be the most popular sport in the world. It's so much more fun to watch than any other professional sport. Also, it's so much more manly than other sports......especially soccer. Don't get me wrong, I love soccer and I'm enjoying the World Cup, but it's disgusting to see these guys diving if they get touched and then writhing around on the ground like they've been shot. Then they get carried off on a stretcher and are back in the game 2 seconds later. Tonight I watched guys literally dive head-first to block 90mph slap shots without even thinking about it. Corey Stillman, or some other guy on Carolina, did this in the 1st period and barely got his hand up in front of his face in time. He took the slapper off the wrist. None of you soccer players have any idea how much that would hurt, but trust me...that's a friggin' crapload of pain. What did he do? Roll around on the ice crying until the ref blew the whistle? No, he got up grimacing and got to the bench as fast as he could so his team wouldn't suffer. Hockey players are tough. Soccer players are metrosexuals.

P.S. I will post my World Cup predictions and group stage assessment in a few days once the round of 16 is set. I have more soccer knowledge in my left big toenail than most people do in their whole bodies.

4 Comments:

Blogger Reese said...

man, that was an awesome game. it's just too bad edmonton lost! i was rooting for them.

6/20/2006 7:34 AM  
Blogger C said...

you wrote this on purpose to get me riled up.

not all teams dive, yes there are definitely a few. soccer doesn't consist of wearing protective equipment b/c trust me shinguards just help to absorb the kick, but it still hurts. you do hobble around a bit until it loosens up again. some falls requier a bit of shrugging it off, but unlike hockey most players play a full 90 minutes.

i've played indoor soccer which was a hockey style and found it easier to recover. the game is quicker, not so much tripping going on.

don't get me wrong i know hockey guys are toughs the hits are hard, and you have to be in good physical shape. donm't sell soccer players short. soccer requires skill, finesse, stamina, speed, mental toughness, you can't be in bad shape...ask Ronaldo that...he's hurting

don't be a dick about soccer

6/20/2006 9:01 AM  
Blogger Mr. Apple said...

reese...i was also rooting for edmonton, but it was a great series no matter the outcome.

cjs...i agree with everything you wrote except the part where you said "not all teams dive". Not only do all teams dive, but all players do...even tough ones who should have more self respect. Believe me, everything I wrote was as a soccer fan. I have watched and played the game all my life - I just think the operatic hammy overacting every time a player goes down needs to stop.

6/20/2006 9:13 AM  
Blogger C said...

you broke my heart

it's in tiny pieces

6/20/2006 1:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home