Saturday, June 17, 2006

Restraining orders are such a joke.

Anybody know the ins and outs of restraining orders? I have this friend who's been served with one and he's curious about certain issues. I mean, everybody knows that when you've been issued a restraining order you are prohibited from telephoning, contacting, or otherwise communicating with the petitioner directly or indirectly, unless the injunction specifically allows indirect contact through a third party (which it doesn't, of course). But does indirect communication include something as innocent as writing "Baby you belong to me and if I can't have you no one can have you" on your own personal blog? Because if it does, then that would be a total joke. Or hypothetically, would my friend be in violation of his restraining order if he wrote on his blog, with a twinkle in his eye and in jest mind you - "If I catch you and that manwhore together, horrible and violent retribution will be delivered down on both your heads"?

Also, I know that my friend is required to stay away from
the petitioner's residence, school, place of employment, or other specified placed frequented regularly by the petitioner, but does that include the bushes outside said residence, school, place of employment, or other specified place? And if so, then how the hell is my friend supposed to keep a watchful eye on his baby? Would monitoring via telescope or binocular constitute a violation provided he stayed the required 500ft. away? Finally, how seriously should he take that bit about disposing of all firearms?

Man....what an infringement on my friend's personal freedoms. It really boils my blood and makes me violently enraged. The pendulum has swung too far, in my opinion.

4 Comments:

Blogger C said...

Wow, did you know your friend was a stalker?

I think binoculars and telescopes would be ok.

6/17/2006 2:43 PM  
Blogger Mr. Apple said...

I wouldn't exactly call him a stalker....I mean stalking is in the eye of the beholder. One woman's "stalker" is another woman's "hopeless romantic". In fact, I think that's a real problem with today's world - no one believes in "till death do us part" anymore.....but anyway, you think the telescope would be ok?

6/17/2006 7:11 PM  
Blogger C said...

definitely, he wouldn't be hurting anyone by looking or watching someone through a telescope, and it allows him to keep the regulated distance

i think i might actually be a hopeless romantic

isn't it until death do us part if your married? dating doesn't count

6/17/2006 10:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's you, isnt it?
yup its gotta be.
people only talk about themselves right?

6/22/2006 8:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home